Our Core Beliefs
The Evangelical Covenant Church seeks to form and nurture communities that are deeply committed to Jesus Christ and passionately engaged in Christ’s mission in the world. The purpose of Covenant Affirmations is to make clear the values and principles that have guided the Evangelical Covenant Church since its founding in 1885.
For Covenant people, our essential beliefs are summed up in what we call Covenant Affirmations:
- We affirm the centrality of the word of God.
- We affirm the necessity of the new birth.
- We affirm a commitment to the whole mission of the church.
- We affirm the church as a fellowship of believers.
- We affirm a conscious dependence on the Holy Spirit.
- We affirm the reality of freedom in Christ.
Who We Are
OUR VISION: WHO we aspire to BE, in Christ
- A Christ-Centered, Diverse Community United By God’s Redeeming Love, Growing Together and Going Together
OUR MISSION: WHAT we aspire to DO, through Christ
- To join God’s work by reaching, discipling and equipping people to courageously and authentically live out God’s Word in Brooklyn Park and beyond.
OUR VALUES: HOW we aspire to DO IT, with Christ
These are the principles we embrace to guide our day-to-day actions and decisions, and are the standards and ethics of how we accomplish our work:
- Engaging Worship: We will worship God in an engaging manner, focused on God’s Word, reflective of our diversity as we offer ourselves together as one body.
- Active Prayer: We will actively seek God’s guidance in everything we do, relying on Him through personal, corporate and intimate prayer to accomplish His Vision for Redeemer.
- Diversity and Unity: Because we embrace the diverse community in which God has placed Redeemer Covenant Church, we seek and honor the voices and gifts of all men and women, ethnicities and ages within Redeemer, engaging as one to fulfill His mission.
- Honoring the Whole Person: We will meet people where they are, understanding they are created in God’s image, compassionately striving to meet needs, earning their trust, encouraging faith, and deepening their commitment to Christ.
- Serving Together: We live out a “hands-on” faith in Christ, engaging every person in God’s work, encouraging, equipping and empowering individuals as they serve together with their gifts and passion.
- Flexibility and Creativity: We will embrace change with flexibility and creativity when it serves God’s work.
- Effective Communication: We value timely, transparent, clear and accurate communication that informs, inspires and motivates.
- Developing Leaders: We will develop leaders and teams through training and coaching to advance God’s Vision and Mission for Redeemer.
- Purposeful Stewardship: We celebrate God’s blessings and will use His resources humbly, generously, decisively and responsibly to further His work as good stewards of our time, talent and resources.
Our Guide for Relationships
As a congregation, we have adopted these Holy Manners to live by:
- Listen to each other and hold private information in confidence. James 1:19, Proverbs 11:13
- From a Biblical base of truth, deal directly with each other. Ephesians 4:15-16, Matthew 18:15
- Always be gentle with others and seeks ways to build up. Ephesians 4:29, Galatians 6:1
- Use words and actions to care for others and not judge. James 5:9, Romans 2:1
- Choose a humble temperament that is willing to share our own weaknesses and failures, and is ready to forgive others. James 5:9, Luke 6:38
- Participate freely in the Body of Christ, praying for one another and using your gifts and talents to God’s glory. James 5:16, Matthew 10:8